[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Congress continues to debate the efficacy
and constitutionality of federal regulation of
firearms and ammunition. Various federal
laws have been enacted since 1934 to promote
Gun control advocates argue
that they curb access by criminals, juveniles,
and other "high-risk" individuals. They
contend that only federal measures can successfully
reduce the availability of guns.
Some seek broad policy changes such as
near-prohibition of non-police handgun ownership
or the registration of all firearm owners
or firearms. They assert that there is no constitutional
barrier to such measures and no
significant social costs. Others advocate less
comprehensive policies that they maintain
would not impede ownership and legitimate
Opposition to federal controls
is strong. Gun control opponents deny
that federal policies keep firearms out of the
hands of high-risk persons; rather, they argue,
controls often create burdens for law-abiding
citizens and infringe upon constitutional rights
provided by the Second Amendment. Some
argue further that widespread gun ownership
is one of the best deterrents to crime as well as
to potential tyranny, whether by gangs or by
government. They may also criticize the
notion of enhancing federal, as opposed to
state, police powers.
The two most significant
federal statutes controlling firearms in the
civilian population are the National Firearms
Act of 1934 and the Gun Control Act of
1968. The 1934 Act established strict registration
requirements and a transfer tax on
machine guns and short-barreled long guns.
The 1968 Act prohibits mail-order sales and
the interstate sales of firearms, prohibits
transfers to minors, limits access to "new"
assault weapons, and sets forth penalties and
licensing requirements for manufacturers,
importers, and dealers.
Crime and mortality
statistics are often used in the gun control
debate. The number of homicides committed
annually with a firearm by persons in the 14-
to 24-year-old age group increased by 173%
from 1985 to 1993, and then decreased by
47% from 1993 to 1999. Firearm fatalities
from all causes and for all age groups
decreased by 22%. For juveniles, they de-creased
by 40%, from 1993 to 1998.
- Political Magazines: The Almanac's links to political and public policy magazine sites.
- Public Policy Jobs: Sites listing public policy, lobbying, and media jobs in government and at major national organizations.
- Questia: Search over 400,000 books and journals at Questia online.
- Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms - Firearms: The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) is a law enforcement organization dedicated to reducing violent crime, collecting revenue, and protecting the public. ATF enforces federal laws and regulations relating to alcohol, tobacco, firearms, explosives and arson.
- 1999 National Gun Policy Survey: The findings of a national survey on gun policy by the National Opinion Research Center (NORC) at the University of Chicago, in collaboration with the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research and the Joyce Foundation.
- A Case for Gun Control: Short essay justifying the need for gun control.
- American Bar Association's Coordinating Committee on Gun Violence: Access the ABA's policy, background report, congressional correspondence and facts on gun violence in schools.
- Americans for Gun Safety: Discusses enforcing existing gun laws, endorses legislation, and floats various firearm regulations such as registration and licensing, litigation against firearms manufacturers, and other regulatory measures, briefly mentioning their pros and cons.
- Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence: News, statistics, research, refutations of anticontrol studies, resources, and links promoting procontrol policies. Also addresses gun rights issues.
- Co/Motion - Fostering youth leadership in social change: Includes information on the Youth Gun Violence Prevention Initiative which engages young people throughout on the issue of gun violence.
- Coalition to Stop Gun Violence/Educational Fund to Stop Gun Violence: Composed of 44 civic, professional and religious organizations and 100,000 individual members that advocate for a ban on the sale and possession of handguns and assault weapons. Includes an Action Guide, legislative information, and action alerts.
- Common Sense About Kids and Guns: Home firearm storage and safety tips to protect children and teens from gun violence and gun accidents.
- Doctors Against Handgun Injury: A division of the New York Academy of Medicine representing over 600,000 doctors that believe they have a responsibility to lecture on gun safety because of the death and injury toll caused by shooting incidents.
- Firearm Injury Center (Medical College of Wisonsin)
- Firearms Law Center: Federal, state and local firearms law summaries, Second Amendment federal case law summaries, and updates on promising new regulatory strategies nationwide.
- Firearms Litigation Clearinghouse: Summarizes recent firearms litigation cases.
- Get Unloaded Gun Safety Campaign: Features merchandise, concert announcements, and safety tips.
- Gun Control in the United States: A Comparative Survey of State Firearm Laws: Survey comparing state gun laws and each state is scored.
- Gun Free Kids: Contact national and local elected officials to support gun legislation that helps keep guns away from children.
- Gunfree: Home of the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence, and the Educational Fund to End Handgun Violence.
- Guns in America: An essay with illustrations, audio, and links, promoting strict gun control.
- Handgun Epidemic Lowering Plan (HELP): An international and national network of health professionals and organizations committed to reducing the number of deaths and disabilities caused by guns.
- Handgun-Free America, Inc.: Research, quotes, commentary, and links supporting the banning of civilian handgun ownership.
- Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research: Factsheets, monographs, slideshows, and policy papers.
- Join Together Online: A resource center for communities working to reduce substance abuse and the promotion of gun control.
- Legal Community Against Violence: Dedicated to reducing gun violence through legislation, litigation, and education. Provides financial and pro bono legal support for litigation, and assistance to local governments defending ordinance challenges from gun rights advocates.
- Million Mom March
- Mother's Against Teen Violence: Mission statement, counseling services, starting a chapter, and member only services.
- Mothers Against Guns: Committed to ending gun violence in our communities, and our nation by continuing to raise public awareness of the effect gun violence has on our lives.
- PAX - The Movement to End Gun Violence in America: News, facts, links, and how to get involved.
- PBS Frontline: Hot Guns: A report on cheap handguns, their manufacturers, and the illicit handgun market.
- Physicians for Social Responsibility (PSR): Physicians for Social Responsibility is working to create a world free of nuclear weapons, global environmental pollution, and gun violence.
- The Potowmack Institute: Seeks national registration of firearms "that can effectively disarm... the NRA's 'armed citizen guerrillas.'"
- Sane Alternatives to the Firearms Epidemic (SAFE) - Colorado: Advocates the regulation of the manufacture and distribution of handguns, semiautomatic assault weapons, ammunition and related paraphernalia, while recognizing the right of Colorado citizens to own and use firearms designed for legitimate hunting, sport and defensive purposes.
- Sane Guns: Provides statistics, news, commentary, and historical information and analysis.
- The Truth About Gun Control and the Second Amendment: A brief and narrow, myth versus fact presentation of the gun control debate.
- Violence Policy Center: A national educational foundation working to enhance gun control in America.
- Violence Prevention Research Project: Addressing the causes, nature, and prevention of violence.
- 2nd Amendment Home Page: A reference source for those interested in the right of ordinary people to keep and bear arms.
- CarryConcealed.com: Carry concealed weapons information by state.
- Concealed Carry (CCW) Database: National concealed carry database for CCW news, tracking and cross referencing state CCW laws, state gun laws, and contact information for the offices that issue CCW licenses. Also state and national gun news.
- Explaining the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban: Explains the ban in simple terms with photographs of banned and legal weapons including a quiz.
- Fight for the Expiration of the '94 AW Ban!: News, assault weapons ban history, and commentary.
- Firearms - or the Right of Self-Protection: Links to oped and news items.
- Firearms Rights: Commentary extolling firearms rights.
- From My Cold Dead Hands: Quotes from the Founding Fathers regarding gun ownership.
- Gun Facts: Three documents covering guns and the Second Amendment, legislation, and jury nullification.
- Gun Owners of America
- Gun Owners' Action League
- GunCite: Gun Control and Second Amendment Issues: Presentation and analysis of firearms statistics, research, policies, and gun control laws.
- Guns in the Medical Literature -- A Failure of Peer Review: Article examining what it calls a representative sample of politicized and incompetent research promoting gun control. From Doctors for Integrity in Research & Public Policy.
- Issue in Focus: Gun Control: Collection of progun articles from the New American magazine.
- Journalist's Guide to Gun Policy Scholars and Second Amendment Scholars
- Just Facts Gun Control: Brief discussions of firearms used in crime and selfdefense, righttocarry laws, assault weapons, the Brady bill, school shootings, armor piercing bullets, accidents, and the Second Amendment.
- National Rifle Association
- Outgunned: How the Network News Media are Spinning the Gun Control Debate: A look at the media's role in the gun control debate. (January 5, 2000)
- Overlawyered.com - Firearms Litigation Resources: Commentary and links critical of lawsuits against gunmakers and owners.
- Reason's Gun Page: Resources on firearms from Reason magazine, including articles about firearms facts, lawsuits, media coverage, and the Second Amendment.
- The Right and Duty to Keep and Bear Arms: Answers arguments against private gun ownership in America.
- The Right to Keep and Bear ... What?: An essay giving past and present interpretations of "arms" as used in the Second Amendment.
- The Right to Keep and Bear Arms (RKBA): Directory of firearms rights organizations, research, news, legislation, court and legal issues, and other resources.
- Second Amendment Lovers: Essays, statistics, and quotes.
- Self-defense: A Basic Human Right: Explains and justifies the right and wisdom of preserving firearms ownership for selfdefense, combining pictorial, historical, and current perspectives.
- The Stentorian's Second Amendment Site: Resources, downloadable royaltyfree leaflets, analysis, and commentary.
- Tao of Gun: Addressing gun control and Second Amendment issues from a New Age perspective.
- TriggerFinger: News, opinions, information, and activism mainly concerning threats to firearms rights.
- Truth About Guns, Crime and Violence: Analysis and essays of selected gun control statistics and studies.
- Violence in America - Effective Solutions: Paper authored by a group of doctors addressing gun violence and proposing solutions.
- Women Against Gun Control: Women Against Gun Control or WAGC is a political organization created to inform, educate and support the development of the self-reliant women and men, nationwide, who consider it their fundamental right and responsibility to protect their right of self-defense as well as their children, their property and themselves from human aggression and assault Pro-gun site.
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
[an error occurred while processing this directive]